Thursday, May 1, 2014

Let me sort out your problems for you

I got a letter from the school social worker this morning in advisory asking that I go see her.  I wasn't sure why, as I've never had any problems before with the school or anyone there.  I went to the room and talked to her after she grabbed me out of advisory, and she told me some rumors she'd heard the other day, and wanted to make sure everything was ok with me.  All set and done, nothing was wrong and the rumors were false, but after some of the questions she asked me and suggestions she gave me, I started thinking hard about the idea of a social worker.  It's a great idea, kids who need someone to talk to but don't have anyone can find that person at their school social worker, but at the same time, those who don't need help get more than they need, which I believe worsens one's ability to self advocate.  While this isn't the main problem, it's one a few social workers provide.  The main issue I've found over some research is that social workers aren't able to help a child/client because of the "constraints of their job", the guardian has an article you can read here.  These constraints means that if a child is in need, there are problems preventing that person to receive help.  For instance, child protection services can make the child feel "overwhelmed" according to association directors of children's services, they may make the problem even worse.  Social workers are a step forward to solving many of the people's problems at their school or area of practice, but do the positives outweigh the negatives?
 

No comments: