Sunday, October 27, 2013

Spain vs. America: Eating Tapas Seems to Keep you Skinny!

Thanksgiving is coming up, I'm sure we'll all be checking in to our local hospitals after dinner with fatal food comas, and I definitely can't wait to hear all the complaining of how much weight people gained afrom one meal after returning to our 9-5 schedule at school.  But, what if, somewhere on our vast planet, there was a place where you could sleep in the middle of the day, eat dinner with your family later, and then go out to burn off all those calories by partying with your friends?  This magical place is what us americanos refer to as Spain.
Not so magical you might say, you could always go to the gym here to burn off your mashed potatoes and gravy, but seriously, nobody likes working out.  The average life expectancy in the U.S. is 78 years ranked #36, Spain is ranked #7 at 82 years.  While it may feel better to lay down and veg out after eating a meal, it's not the same as going out and being active to burn and make use of the energy you just took in after, so as not to store it all up in your body for later usage (fat).  I personally think the spaniards have got it figured out, Americans have an obesity rate of +30% while only 13% of Spanish people are clinically obese, clearly something about the lifestyle is very different.  It obviously depends on the person, but the spanish lifestyle to me seems much better for you.  When "being active" is its own activity, to many people it has a negative connotation.  I remember back in the 5th grade, there used to be commercials advertising being active  on T.V. channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, I was and still am amazed that exercise needed to be advertised to get in the minds of the american people.  At this point, it would be too difficult to completely switch our country's schedule to one like Spain's, because everything is already set up for the average american day we have in place.  Hopefully soon we will be able to make our schedules a little more healthy, so all those people still in their food comas will re awaken to continue their lives.

(statistics from cia world factbook)
                                                                                           

2 comments:

Carolyn D. said...

I have also heard about the lifestyle in Spain. In fact, I experienced it for my self when I traveled there for two weeks this summer. Although I did live a very touristy life, I feel like I did immerse myself into their culture as much as possible. Strangely enough, it seemed to me that the Spanish were less obsessed with their weight then Americans seem to be. Here, as Andrew mentioned, we are constantly bombarded with messages telling us to diet and exercise, where as in Spain I did not notice this as much. Although it may just be one tourists opinion, I think maybe the reason why Americans have so many weight issues, is because we are obsessed with the issue of food. To Americans, food comes in extremes, eating a lot, or not eating a lot on a diet. In America food has become something that makes you fat, instead of in Spain where it is something that is appreciated culturally. To them, food is part of the culture, a rich and delicious part. Not something that we pig out on, or avoid for diets. I think when we become obsessed with food, and not appreciate it in proportion as a cultural thing, we become unhealthy.

OC said...

Andrew, Nice job blogging overall this terms. This post starts with a lively -- and sarcastic -- voice that is a real strength. And I'm glad to see you offer stats and an image for your readers. I only wish you could push this post to core American values. Over-eating is not a value. I think you're on to something with your offhand 9-5 comment for example. Or you might think of linking your issue to Michelle Obama's play 60 initiative.