Thursday, October 24, 2013

My American Hero: Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix had been there all my life, figuratively of course.  From
my dad having many of his vinyl records, being one of the only good artists on my parents old itunes library, and even all the way to me spending countless hours sitting down next to my amp trying to hit every note, bend, and slide like he does, Hendrix has become
one of, if not my favorite musician.  Aside from being one of the most famous and successful guitarist of all time, Hendrix at many times in his life showed himself as a true American.  Hendrix came from a difficult background, not as much as others, but nevertheless tough.  Both his parents were heavy drinkers, and before 19 years old, he was faced with the choice of prison time or enlisting in the army where he chose to serve and spent the next year and a half of his life training and making jumps with the 101st airborne division.  Although receiving honorable discharge from a lack of interest or desire to fulfill his duties in the army, he still spent time and served his country.  Hendrix also did a cover of the Star-Spangled Banner at Woodstock, which was received by politicians as a message against the Vietnam War, but Jimi revealed weeks later that it was more of a "go America", using heavy distortion to represent the noises of bombs and war.  Hendrix is my American hero because like many others, from all his struggle and hard work to find success, he has inspired me immensely to continue pursuing my dreams until I find success in my life.                                            

No comments: